Friday 12 October 2012

T -12 Hours to XTrail

Monday, October 8th - Day off.  Legs are a little saw after the Relais 2 Heures de St-Hyacinthe yesterday:  It was a fun race, quite different to what I am used to, but a great training session: 36 x 360m at an average of 1m08s per lap, with 2m15s rest inbetween (team of 3).

Tuesday, October 9th - 33km total.  This morning, Pierre Duchesne and I took a reconnaissance lap of the XTrail Orford 21km circuit.  23km total.  The first 12km on the rolling cross country ski paths was easy going.  As we entered the Escallier du Nord, I mixed in a little interval training: 5 x 2 mins @ 80% with 1 minute at 40%.  After the interval series I lost my focus and kept overdoing it instead of keeping a steady pace.  As a result, the run along Sentier de Crêtes section got broken up with lots of little breaks to stretch my legs out.  The adducter muscle in my left leg began playing up and was beginning to feel weak.  Finally got back in to the groove on the Grande Coullée climb, and reached the summit in about 8 minutes - I was out of breath but not burnt out.  It was cold and windy at the top and Pierre and I were feeling exhausted, so we made our way straight back down the 4km route, taking it easy to avoid any unnecessary strain.  The legs were feeling extremely tight in the car on the way back home - major stretching session on its way after the shower.  Except that it was already 14h30 by the time I got home and I had a meeting with the Hi Trainer team, and training with Adrenaline at 17h00.  No shower, a tiny but of strectching, and a hefty late lunch to keep me going.

This evening it was the last training session of the season for the Club de Course Adrenaline.  10km at 60% with a few fartlek sprint activities mixed in.  Had to focus on taking it easy so not to further strain my adducter - couldn't resist a couple of sprint though, in moderation.

Wednesday, October 10th - Coaching with Le Club de Trail de Bromont.  Total distance 6km.  5 x 3 min @ 75%, with 2 min rest between each interval.  Despite the nasty little down pour just before the session, there was a good turn out - 14 of us with head lamps and impermeable jackets took a tour of Mont Oak.  It was slippy and the leaves made the trail a little sketchy but it was fun, which is the main thing.

Thursday, Oct 11th - Should have been a day off ...but I had been stuck indoors all day and felt restless so headed up into the woods and bike trails aroud the Versant des Canton in Bromont.  Total distance 11km and adducter muscle didn't play up too much.

Friday, Oct 12th - Definitely a day off.  XTrail Orford tomorrow.  Slightly concerned about the pain in my left knee and groin being a problem tomorrow. If either start to play up I am just gonna have to bite down and bare it I suppose.  There are some strong contenders running tomorrow.  My money is David Le Porho winning, but the likes of Jeff Gosselin, Luc Hamel and Kenny Beaudette will all be bringing their A game.  Plan for the evening: Pasta dinner, (rice pasta, not that wheat crap), some light stretching and then early to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment